A Wesley Arnold was my Dad and is the reason that the Kaiser Papers was created.
Kaiser was involved in our Dad’s Medical Care because they were supposed to undo the damage caused by a negligent physician while he was with SCAN Insurance. Unfortunately, Kaiser, like many Managed Care Organizations today simply ignored the transferred patient records and continued the inappropriate and misdiagnosed medical care. To further complicate matters his family also did not at that time completely realize that the initial diagnosis was fraudulent. The family did know some of the false information and did try to convey that to Kaiser. Kaiser did not bother to listen. I suppose that if a physician had been involved in his Kaiser care things might have been different but that care was not provided. Although from all accounts at the beginning with Kaiser, while they did not appropriately evaluate or even examine our Dad they were initially far more decent and courteous than was the SCAN coverage through HealthCarePartners out of Pasadena, California. HealthCarePartners provided deplorable care.
Here is his story –
CASE SUMMARY –
- A Health Care Partners physician – Angela Ross Hay did intentionally defraud Medicare a branch of the Federal Government by billing for nonexistent treatments, illnesses and did diagnose nonexistent disease through SCAN Insurance – A Senior Provider for Medicare.
- A Tenet Hospital, since closed, St. Luke’s Hospital assisted Angela Ross Hay in this defraudment of the Federal Government.
- Angela Ross Hay did knowingly and intentionally for financial gain cause irreparable harm to a senior citizen.
- Barlow Respiratory Hospital did assist Angela Ross Hay in continuing the Medicare Fraud by not re-evaluating the patient’s diagnosis and consequently appears to have been found to be involved in their own little defraudment of the public. The California State Board of Pharmacy requested that the California Medical Board formally investigate questionable medical treatments which can needlessly endanger patient life.
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan working with a conservator illegally attempted to place the patient in their hospice program and a nursing home in downtown Los Angeles. The Conservator was later found to be running two different probates on Mr. Arnold at the same time with the assistance of another individual.
- A Kaiser Foundation Health Plan and Permanente nurse, Dennis Kane (He has a proven lengthy history of patient abuse), openly stated to the family of the patient that the patient was being killed for financial gain and to make room in the Kaiser program for more patients. (Medicare will only allow so many patients at one time per month in that program. Stacking patients per month is a big moneymaker for said corporation.) A detailed accounting of this financial Medicare Defraudment program was provided by this nurse and has since been confirmed as fact.
- When Kaiser Foundation Health Plan and Permanente Personnel were notified of the attempted defraudment they immediately stopped all medical care which to that point was slim to none anyway.
- Because Kaiser had never provided a physician to make an evaluation based upon true examination but had continued the medical prescriptions originally provided by Angela Ross Hay and an additional one by Barlow Respiratory Hospital the patient succumbed to a septic infection and an overdose of potassium.
- Kaiser did not ever monitor the potassium levels and was found to have attempted to alter the computerized medical and pharmaceutical records. The proof was obtained by the obvious to authorities tampering of the computer template. The template was created and the information half-erased. The template, due to the system Kaiser used at that time could not be removed. So the creation date and date of attempted removal were right there in the open.
- The Department of Health Services did find Kaiser Health Plan to have been negligent in their lack of medical care. They also blamed the Conservator for the death of Adam Wesley Arnold.
- Also Kaiser was found to have altered the patient information on the home health computerized system by the repeated input of material indicating that the patient had expired several weeks before it became fact. This was repeatedly done by Kaiser personnel. Doing this indicated to schedulers that no further medical care would be needed, hence the lack of actual medical care.
- The above action did not stop Kaiser from billing Medicare.
- The Department of Health Services immediately fired the director of the department that filed the above-mentioned report and for over one year lost a copy of the said report. We however did have a copy of this report.
- The Department of Health Services upon receipt of further written evidence from within Kaiser Foundation Health Plan and Hospital advised the family that an immediate reopening of the case was warranted and that they would be going in. That was two years ago and they still haven’t done it.
- LAPD advised that Leland Wong of Kaiser Permanente had to grant permission for a criminal investigation.
- LAPD five years later received new information and did conduct an investigation.
- LAPD advised the family that they will have to wait a long time for a response from LAPD as to how they will be proceeding.
- 2005 – CMS wrote that Kaiser did not get to keep Medicare Funding for the care of our Dad. DMHC still refused to investigate, even though it now fell under their jurisdiction and CMS requested they do so.
- 2009 – We are still waiting.
TO THE ACTUAL AND ONLY MEDICAL RECORDS IN THE ENTIRE KAISER SYSTEM PERTAINING TO MY DAD.
It took five years to obtain them. The Supreme Court for the State of California ruled that the next of kin and eldest child had no right to them if that is what they feel like doing. Three days after that ruling, and after my husband consulted with a DA in Ventura, California, we got a phone call to go pick up the records. Here they are:
As soon as we learned of the existence of the newly created California Department of Managed Health Care a phone call was placed to them. I was assured that their very existence was to handle such matters as we had witnessed and experienced. They had me fill out their online form. They also over the years had us send them more and more requests for an investigation. Here is the correspondence from the DMHC – Department of Managed Health Care that showed that something else was blocking any investigation.
Over the years, numerous requests have been made to the California Board of Registered Nursing for a formal investigation. Here is one of the complaints filed, at the Board’s request on April 10, 2004. You will note that Dennis Kane, the nurse involved in this, the “closer” by his own statement, was also the primary offender in the Inclan vs Covenant Health Care case which did go to the Supreme Court and did extend the statute of limitations in some instances of Elder Abuse. He did the same thing to several of his patients and the Inclan family sued. Unfortunately in that case Dennis Kane got off due to a technicality involving statute time constraints. He also managed to have the court formally remove his name from the lawsuit. How that happened while in litigation is a question to be answered by attorneys.
Adam Wesley Arnold’s story, has been made public because numerous people assisted us in gathering this information and wanted to know the truth. This also has been placed online because thousands of people in this country are treated the same way and not one government agency is willing to do the right thing and stop it from happening. This has been very difficult to put together and made more so because prior to this we greatly valued our privacy. More important than our privacy though, is giving people the chance to stop this from happening to one of their family members. Here is a link to the story with the information that we had in 2002 when it was read before Congress:https://www.kaiserpapers.org/pdfs/elderjustice.pdf Since that time we have received further information and have learned that there was much more to the story than we were originally allowed to know.