The Kaiser hospital in south Sacramento failed to follow state law when it discharged a brain-injured young man to the streets outside a closed homeless services program, a state investigation has concluded.
The “deficiency” finding does not carry a fine, but Kaiser will be required to file a correction plan with the state, according to Ralph Montano, a spokesman with the California Department of Public Health.
In an e-mailed statement Friday, Kaiser said the state’s conclusion matches what the hospital said soon after the May 23 incident: “In this matter we unfortunately did not fully follow our discharge policy.”
The man involved, Jason Adams, suffered a traumatic brain injury in a 2005 car crash, leaving him with virtually no short-term memory, according to his father, Ken Adams. He was unable to function on his own and had recently walked onto a freeway and been struck by a car, his father said.
With his parents unable to manage him, Jason Adams had been placed in various care facilities by Kaiser, which provided his health insurance. The state investigation noted he had bounced among different facilities and Kaiser’s emergency room on May 22, the Friday before Memorial Day weekend.
Kaiser then decided to call a taxi and arrange for him to be taken to an area where he could line up for a shelter shuttle bus between 2 and 3 p.m. on Saturday, the state report says.
Please read the complete story at: https://news.kaiserpapers.org/jason-adams-dumped-by-kaiser-on-sacramento-street/